Mens 3s v Cobdown

Match date: 30/11/19
Opposition: K-Sports (Cobdown)
Home or away: Away
Result: 5-0
Scorers: Joseph Furzer (1), James Grey (1), Jon McIver (1), Matt Smith (1), Borys Wowczuk (1)
Man/ Woman of the Match Nick Williams
Match Reporter Jon McIver

Final game of the first half of the season and New Beccs were keen to get another win and maintain
pressure on the top of the league, a win today would make it 5 in a row. We only had the bare 11
starting due to drop puts and sickness but it was a strong team particularly down the centre and we
started dominantly and continued that way throughout the match. Cobdown struggled to get out
their half, but defended resolutely and, with a strong keeper, caused New Beccs a few problems in
the first 20 minutes.

The break came when we started to move the ball to the wings and get behind the Cobdown
defence, a move from the back started by Pete Watt and finishing with Nick Williams down the right
slotting across a ball that the overlapping CDM pushed in majestically at the left hand post. A great
team move, but Cobdown still would not admit defeat and with the score at 1-0 at half time they
were still in the game.

Half time team talk focused on the lack of shots and eventually suggested that a few short corners
(we had had none in the first half in spite of circa 75% possession) might change the game. Sure
enough a few minutes into the second half Joe put the ball onto a defenders foot and from the short
James Grey pummelled it home into our favourite bottom left corner. Cobdown heads started to
slump and smiles disappear, as New Beccs continued to attack relentlessly. Another short corner
allowed New Beccs to demonstrate the feared Boris routine and indeed Borys Wowczuk did slot
home a fiercely spinning shot between the keepers legs and a defenders foot. However he had not
taken the ball out the D so it was correctly disallowed.

The 3rd goal wasn’t long in coming though with Matt Smith following up on some neat passing down
the right from Nick Williams and by then Cobdown knew they were going to be well beaten. Borys
did get on the score sheet a few moments later after exploiting the increasing freedom he was being
given by the Cobdown defence, he shot home from the top of the D. The final nail in Cobdown's day
came a few minutes before the end with Joe Furzer, who had run the Cobdown defence ragged all
day, doing a mirror image of Borys's goal. Unfortunately that made the score 5-0, which on paper
looks like a walkover, and the final whistle went before we had time to make it 6-0.

Special mention to Cube in goal, who for the first time in 40 years played an entire game without
touching the ball, and to the left and right backs (Hugh Willoughby and Vince West) who gave the
young Cobdown wingers virtually no possession all afternoon.

New Beccs 3s finish the first half of the season in 2nd place with 7 wins, 1 loss and 1 concession (the
last two over October half term, when we struggled to get a team out). Ignoring the walkover we
have scored 38 goals whilst only conceding 13 – top scorers so far Josh Slater on 8 and Leon Jackson
and Joe Furzer on 5 each.